Why you should video your wedding
There is a fundamental shift in the way that Kiwi couples are choosing to remember their wedding day. A new breed of wedding cinematographer is learning from the best wedding filmmakers overseas and applying those lessons here.
I predict in coming years the trend will continue, as the quality of films continues to rise, with more couples investing in a quality wedding film in addition to just having photos.
Here are my top 5 reasons:
- Sometimes it’s just too hard to get everyone you love to your wedding, especially if they’re overseas. It’s a common reason why people want me to capture their big day on film. My lovely wife Jen’s Granddad suffered a stroke in Chile just 10 days before our wedding earlier this year and was unable to travel. When he recovered, we were delighted to send him our film so he could share in our day.
- The quality of wedding filmmakers in New Zealand is improving rapidly. The films we are producing are cinematic, compelling and getting better every year.
- Either you’re in the ‘wedding day is a blur’ category or the ‘I can remember it all clearly’ category. For a lot of us, including me, it’s over in a flash. I had a ball at my wedding but before I knew it the band was playing their final song of the night and I was heading home in the taxi with my new wife. A film can help you remember all the little details, preserve the big moments and experience some of the things you didn’t see the first time.
- As a bride, you’ll never wear your wedding dress again. You’ve spent countless hours planning, preparing, anticipating and spending money to make your big day perfect. You deserve to have the best way to remember it.
- There is a reason the film industry is worth billions of dollars. It’s because films move people. Your favourite film can inspire you, provoke you or move you to tears. Why not capture your wedding this way?
Moving images and sound create lasting impressions on people; they engage your senses on a deeper level than a still photo.
Years from now imagine sitting down with your children and grandchildren and sharing your wedding film with them.
Imagine if you could watch your own parents’, grandparents’ or even great-grandparents’ wedding film in cinematic quality?
Can you even put a price on memories like that?
If you’re looking for more reasons to witness the powerful storytelling of film have a look at this short 3 minute video called “Find Your Understanding”. It’s a story of a father describing his daughters wedding day and his struggle with her decision (I don’t want to spoil it for you). It’s hard to believe that this is an ad, given how personal it is. So far it’s had over 2.3 Million views on Youtube. The story telling is masterful, I doubt that photos of this same wedding would be half as compelling to watch.